One of my favorite things to do is cook. I love trying out new recipes and creating my own. I came up with a new recipe for Chicken Cordon Bleu. This is a dish I rarely eat, but I like it a lot!
Usually it's deep fried and full of fat. However, I lowered the fat and calories but still maintained the flavor. I also changed things up a bit and added a honey mustard sauce.
My husband and kiddos loved it! Everyone cleaned their plates. I love the feeling I get when one of my recipes turns out so well! It's a feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees
Lightly spray 9 x 13 casserole dish with Pam
Ingredients:
5 boneless skinless chicken breasts (slit open down the middle and butterflied)
3 tbsp flour
1 egg
2 egg whites
1 box Stovetop Stuffing, chicken flavor
1 container sliced ham (I used the Oscar Meyer thin sliced deli lunch meat)
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste
Honey Mustard Sauce:
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp mayonnaise
1 tsp poppy seeds
Start off by placing the Stovetop Stuffing in a ziplock bag and crush until close to powder consistency. Secondly, split each chicken breast open so it's butterflied. Don't cut them all the way through. You want a big thin piece of chicken so you can roll it up later. Next, sprinkle the chicken with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Use as much seasonings as you like.
Place flour in one bowl, then beat the egg and egg whites in another separate bowl. Take a chicken breast and dredge it in flour, then dip it in the egg wash. Place the chicken in the ziplock bag of Stovetop Stuffing and coat. Continue this with all of the chicken.
Now it's time to stuff the chicken and roll it up. I placed five to six slices of ham on each chicken breast. Then I sprinkled the mozzarella cheese on the ham. I probably used close to two tablespoons of cheese on each one. It was one cup total for the whole recipe. You can use more or less depending on how cheesy you like it. Once you've sprinkled the cheese on, roll up the chicken and secure with toothpicks. Place in casserole dish and bake uncovered at 450 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
While the chicken bakes, make the sauce. Mix the Dijon mustard, honey, mayonnaise, and poppy seeds in a bowl. Set sauce aside until chicken has cooked. After the chicken has cooked, drizzle the sauce over the top of the chicken and continue to bake uncovered for approximately five more minutes, then remove from oven. My husband wanted the chicken drenched in a lot more sauce, but I told him I was trying to keep it healthy. I'm sure you could double the honey mustard sauce recipe if you like saucy chicken.
I also cut each chicken breast in half so I had ten smaller servings. If you want you can leave them whole and just have five huge servings. Here is the nutrition content, it's a pretty close approximation.
10 servings
Each serving is as follows:
Calories- 270
Fat- 7 grams
Fiber- < 1 gram


That looks so delicious! My husband loves Cordon Bleu so I may have to try this out for him! :)
ReplyDeleteIt's a bit different version than the normal Cordon Bleu. I didn't use swiss cheese, and I added a honey mustard sauce instead of a creamy wine sauce.
Delete