The first change I've made is to cook more at home instead of going out to eat. A meal for two adults, two teens (which eat off the adult menu), and a 9 year old usually ranges $75 to $100 (including a 20% tip) depending on which restaurant we would eat at. So $75 multiplied by three equals $225 a week, at the least! Also, I would go grocery shopping during the week as well, and spend $100 or more.
Over a week ago, on a Sunday night, I sat down and planned a dinner for each night. I had a shopping list of all the ingredients I needed for the week. A few of the staple items I had on hand already. We also keep venison in the freezer and substitute it for beef roasts/stews. I used my crock pot for every dinner I planned, and I doubled most of the recipes. Here is the cost with all of the ingredients for each meal. This total is for six dinners. Keep in mind I cooked double portions for these recipes, except the lasagna. We did go out to eat two nights. Hey, it was only two times that week! I also bought a few snack items and the ingredients to make two dozen breakfast tacos. I'll talk more about those later.
Monday Dinner: Slow Cooker Cheesy Chicken and Rice
http://www.southernplate.com/2010/09/slow-cooker-cheesy-chicken-and-rice-the-downside-of-being-a-swan-princess.html
Tuesday Dinner: (I nicknamed this 3 Bean Turkey Chili) Slow Cooker Spicy Beans with Turkey Sausage
http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Spicy-Beans-with-Turkey-Sausage#.UGstb21urV4.pinterest
Wednesday Dinner: Slow Cooker Lasagna
http://crockingirls.com/recipes/crockin-lasagna/
http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/catalina-cranberry-chicken-89628.aspx?cm_mmc=eml-_-rbe-_-20101228-_-1027
Friday Dinner: Went out to eat
Saturday Dinner: Went out to eat
Sunday Dinner: Slow Cooker Traditional "Venison" Stew
http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Traditional-Beef-Stew#.UGhxFzj2Rws.pinterest
Monday Dinner: Slow Cooker Old Fashioned Pork Chops
http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Old-Fashioned-Pork-Chops#.UGssmppTEX8.pinterest
I doubled most of the recipes, except the lasagna. We had leftovers for lunch and my husband made plates and carried them to work with him. I even had enough leftover from Tuesdays dinner to freeze, so now I have a meal in the freezer to use in the future.
| Frozen leftovers for another night |
That Monday morning, I cooked breakfast tacos and individually wrapped them and put them in the freezer. These are so easy, but it was time consuming since it was my first time doing it. My children loved having these on hand during the week. It takes one minute for them to heat up in the microwave. There's no need to defrost them either. I was going to make a whole box of waffles and freeze them, but I do have a newborn who wants to eat every two hours!
- Breakfast Tacos
- Makes approximately 24
- 16 eggs
- 1 lb sausage
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup salsa
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 24 flour tortillas (6 in)
| Breakfast Tacos |
My next goal is to plan for two weeks of meals instead of one week. I really don't care for grocery shopping, and I honestly don't have the time to go several times during the week. I'm also looking for some new recipes to use, like casseroles and such. Boxed meals get old, and it's nice to have a home cooked meal. Oh, and Pinterest is a big help!
I found a great site on Pinterest that has some crock pot meals. It has all the ingredients listed and it seems fairly simple. It is a "Make a Head" type thing. I have not been brave enough to tackle that task but we have tried a few of the recipes. Look forward to reading more of your bloggs! :)
ReplyDeleteOh I love Pinterest! I get many ideas from it. I'm not brave enough to do the make-a-head and freeze meals yet. I do like doubling the recipe and freezing the leftovers. I have two meals in the freezer so far lol! I know it's not much, but it's a start:) Thanks so much for reading:) I love discussing food/recipes/tips!
ReplyDelete